Monday, February 24, 2014

The Staying Power of Jupiterian Fropples

February 24, 1965

Jocie Brooke here reporting from Hollyhill, Kentucky. Things have been pretty calm in Hollyhill. That's the way it is in the winter around here. If we don't have a big snowstorm, then nothing really happens in February. Just cold winds and days you think spring will never get here. School is extra trouble in February. Teachers must look at the calendar and decide we need to do twice the work since there are only 28 days in the month. Reports and more reports. All on boring true stuff like why Shakespeare poisoned Romeo and Juliet. Well, not really. That might be interesting. Not as interesting as one of Wes's Jupiter stories, but not as boring as drawing the digestive track for health. Eww!

So how about another bit from that book, Summer of Joy. Last week I told you how I figured out love could be shared without it getting lost when I told Robert why I love Wes. I was still a little worried about how what Wes would do when he met his grandson. I mean, I knew he wouldn't stop loving me, but I sort of needed to hear him tell me that. 

   I was already over being jealous of Robert. I'd lost that even before We told me that Jupiter love is stronger than ten grizzly bears, stickier than bubblegum in hair, and has the staying power of a Jupiterian fropple.

    When I laughed and asked what in the world a Jupiterian fropple was, he grinned at me and said, "Nothing in this world, for sure. A fropple is sort of like the frogs you have down here but some bigger with longer jumping legs. Fropples can hop all the way around Jupiter after eating two teeny little bugs. Never get tired. Never wear down. Never quit. Just keep hopping. Around and around."

   "But why are they hopping around Jupiter?" Seemed like something that would be good to know.

    "Now that's something nobody knows. Mr. Jupiter, he's had the scientists up there on Jupiter working on it for years. They can't figure it out. Of course, they did figure out that they could make rocket fuel from those little bugs. That's how come I'm down here on earth. Bug juice fuel."

    That makes me giggle thinking about it. Bug juice fuel. I'm glad that Wes loves me enough to keep telling me crazy Jupiter stories. Did you have a granddaddy or granny who told you silly stories?

     Remember about those giveaways. If you leave a comment here you might win one of the Heart of Hollyhill books. And you can visit that writer's website to find out about her book celebration giveaway. The deadline to enter is Friday at midnight. I love the prizes. A charm bracelet and a cute little dish with a bicycle and the saying "Take Joy in the Journey." Wow, that's I want to do.  That's what Wes does. All the way from Jupiter.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my. What next. LOLI definitely need some energy, but would sure not want to eat bugs to get it. Wonder if Idid if I could just hop on over to Okla. City to see my grandchildren that I never see.? No I don't remember any stories from my granddad. The kids were always outside while the adults visited. When I visited alone, I visiter with grandma mostly while Grandpa was busy. But when he was inside he liked to chase me and nibble on my neck with his toothless gums. Ewwwie! I would run and scoot way under the bed. But I sure loved Grandpa and Grandma. Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocie here. Oh come on, Maxie. One little bug? Of course, it would have to be one of those Jupiterian bugs and Wes didn't say if it worked for people. Maybe only for fropples and space ships. Guess we'll have to stick with regular energy from chocolate bars. It must have been great having a lot of cousins to play with. I don't have any cousins, but I guess the kids at church can be like cousins. Except some of them aren't much fun. Oh dear, I shouldn't have said that. Come back and tell me about when you were a kid anytime, Maxie. Always great to see you here.

      Delete
  2. I love Wes' stories. Thanks for sharing this one about Jupiterian fropples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocie here. I do too, Pam. I used to worry about growing up and Wes thinking I was too old for those Jupiter stories, but now I don't think he'll ever stop telling stories about Jupiter. Things are really hopping up there! Ha! Ha! So glad you hopped over here to talk to me. I must have frogs and hopping on the brain.

      Delete
  3. I think I need some bug juice fuel! My Mama was the best story teller. She would change her voice with the different characters while reading or telling a story I loved it!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocie here. Yeah, bug juice fuel might come in handy when my teachers pile me down with homework or I get tired riding my bike to town. Wow, your mama sounds like the best for telling stories. I wish I could have heard her.

      Threw your name in the drawing hat for the book I'm giving away.

      Delete
  4. When we were young and silly my sister use to make up stories and tell them to me. Her stories were about Old Red Bob. I don't even remember how she came up with that name but I do know he wandered the street where we lived and his house was right next door to ours. The house was a little beat up and needed some tender loving care and if I remember correctly he was drunk a lot. I don't know why that came into play as our parents didn't drink. I guess it was to spice up the story! Anyway, my sister had lots of Old Red Bob stories. I think some day I just might ask her if she remembers enough of them to tell me some over lunch. I know we use to laugh ourselves silly over them!

    Blessings!
    Judy B
    judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocie here. That sounds like fun - those stories about Old Red Bob. Wish I could hear some of them. I'll have to tell Wes about them and when I do I bet he'll know somebody like him up on Jupiter. :)

      Delete
  5. I have Orchard of Hope and would love to win one of the others in this series.
    The only thing we did for Valentines Day when I grew up was to make valentines for everyone in your class. Now, I buy candy for our grandkids and their parents (our kids). sharon wileygreen1(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocie here. I love getting candy at Valentine's. And I used to cut out Valentines from red construction paper and put those lacy doilies on them. That was always fun. I'm glad you've got one of those books about Hollyhill. Maybe you'll be lucky and win another one.

      Delete

Jocie loves to know what you're thinking about your visits to Hollyhill.